Jan 13, 200609:10 AMThe Life
In 1928 the El Mirador Hotel was built for $750,000, providing accommodations for 300 guests. The rich and famous often vacationed here and many celebrities considered the hotel to be their second home. During World War II, it was transformed into Torney General Hospital, serving wounded soldiers. The El Mirador made a hotel-biz comeback, starting in the 1950s, but it's now the Desert Regional Medical Center.
DRMC's Byzantine Spanish Colonial tower, rising majestically over a cluster of other buildings in the north end of town, has become a familiar landmark and symbol of this desert resort.