In the late 1930s, the Palm Springs Riding Club began with about 40 members.
The members built a chuck wagon that accompanied rides and set up to provide food and drinks for breakfast rides, moonlight rides, and weekend campouts.
These events became a way of life for members and in November of 1941, the riding club was renamed Los Compadres.
After World War II, the club bought a plot of land near the intersection of Escoba Road and Highway 111, and also purchased a 20-by-60 foot building.
Makeshift stables were erected on the grounds, and many of the members kept their horses on the property. In 1952, the clubhouse was almost completely destroyed by fire and members restored it by having a deep pit barbecue to raise funds.
They were able to rebuild in time for their holiday parties. In 1968, the members of the club brought back the traditional deep pit barbecue.
In the spirit of the “Old West,” Los Compadres Ranch will celebrate the western heritage of the city of Palm Springs in a community event typically attended by more than 1,000 members, guests and local residents. They drop by the ranch to enjoy an old-fashioned western get-together and delicious barbecue.
Join the members of Los Compadres from 5-9 p.m. Nov. 2 at 1849 S. El Cielo Road in Palm Springs.
As Palm Springs celebrates its 75th anniversary, there are a multitude of ways to learn more about this desert treasure. One of the more intriguing methods is by exploring the city’s history.
Weekly, the Palm Springs Historical Society will share a story whose time and place corresponds with today.
The Palm Springs Historical is located at 221 S. Palm Canyon Drive. For more information, visit www.pshistoricalsociety.org or call 760-323-8297.