Desert Super Stylin'
What to wear, buy, and bring to Coachella and Stagecoach.
Coachella Music Festival 2013
It’s that time again: Coachella Music and Arts Festival (April 12-21) and Stagecoach California’s Country Music Festival (April 26-28) are back. You’ve got your tickets. Now, use our quick-reference guide to make your experience a memorable one:
Expect to spend money at Coachella and Stagecoach. You’ll need cash for:
- T-shirts and other memorabilia
- Alcohol. Outside booze is forbidden, so you’ll have to buy theirs.
- Special events and promotions. The Ferris wheel at Coachella and other attractions cost money.
- Emergencies. You may also need to pay for transportation. Try SunLine Transit Agency, 760-343-3456 or American Cab, 760-322-4444
Most of the essentials you’ll need for Coachella and even Stagecoach must be purchased on-site. Aside from your entry wristband and passes, here’s a list of what to bring:
- Antibacterial wipes and/or gel
- Waterproof sunscreen
- Empty, refillable water bottle: Fill up at festival venue.
- Tissues or handkerchiefs
- Travel umbrella: Festivals occur, rain or shine.
- A small mirror or compact
- Headgear: Baseball caps, scarves, bandanas, cowboy, or straw hats.
- Medicated adhesive bandages. There’s a medic at festivals, but for minor cuts and scrapes, handle them yourself.
Find these first 10 items at Big 5 Sporting Goods,
• 78710 Hwy. 111, La Quinta, 760-771-6626;
• 2465 E. Palm Canyon Dr., Ste. 805, Palm Springs. 760-325-0255;
• 72284 Hwy. 111, Palm Desert, 760-340-3358;
- Layers of clothing. The desert swelters by day and chills at night. Ladies, change into tights, warm socks, and a hoodie when the sun sets, and wear comfortable shoes. Guys, bring a pair of long underwear, warm socks, a shirt or jacket for sundown, and wear walking shoes.
Get gear at The Shops on El Paseo,
El Paseo between Hwy. 74 and Sage Lane, 760-341-4058
- Credit or debit card: Diversify the way you buy.
- Digital camera. No professional camera equipment allowed.
- Moisturizer. Try Kerstin Florian Sun Aloe Gel, exclusively at Renaissance Esmeralda Resort & Spa, 44400 Indian Wells Ln., Indian Wells. 760-773-4444; www.renaissanceesmeralda.com
- Smartphone. Your mobile will help you find friends, your car, tweet happenings, and have a light source when the sun goes down.
- Business cards. Get yours at Desert Grafics, 303 N. Indian Canyon Dr., Palm Springs. 760-323-2739
- Beach towel. Cop a squat on the grass with a super-plush towel from Tuverson & Co., 73920 El Paseo # 2, Palm Desert. 760-346-5577
- Pain reliever. Leave in original packaging, as this is subject to confiscation.
- Tampons. Use these for obvious reasons, or to stop heat or injury-related nosebleeds.
- Antacids. There’s nothing worse than an upset stomach in the middle of a field packed with strangers. Beware, however. This is subject to confiscation.
- Antiperspirant. Don’t be the smelly hick, hippie, or hipster in the desert.
- Breath mints. Score the last five items on this list at Alkobar Quick Stop & Deli, 42005 Cook St., Palm Desert. 760-773-3359.
For more information, visit www.coachella.com/festival-info
- Expect long lines — for everything, including toilets.
- Be prepared. Pack light and bring warm clothes for the evening.
- It’s a family affair. Coachella admits children five and under for free and offers a family friendly play area for little ones. At Stagecoach, kids 10 and under get in free.
- Stay hydrated.
- You’ll be on your feet all day.
- Expect lots of pedestrian traffic.
- Re-entry to Coachella permitted; at Stagecoach for RV campers only.
- It’s loud.
- Take antihistamines before you arrive. Some over-the-counter meds are subject to confiscation, but can be purchased on-site if needed. Prescription meds at both festivals must be accompanied by a doctor’s note or verifiable prescription bottle.
- Treat celebrities like people. They’re there to enjoy themselves just like you are, so keep screams to a minimum.
- If hotel rooms are booked, expand your search to include realtors. Pitch in with friends and rent a house or condo. We love Andrew Merskin, 760-567-9444, Saxony Real Estate, 760-773-3344, and Lance Frank, 760-262-3332.
Africa & Beyond
333 N. Palm Canyon Dr., Palm Springs, CA 92262
304 N. Palm Canyon Dr., Palm Springs, CA 92262
Bargain City 99 Cents+ Store
1790 N. Sunrise Way, Palm Springs, CA 92262
Don Vincent Store for Men
• 285 S. Palm Canyon Dr., # D1, Palm Springs, CA 92262
• 73690 El Paseo, Palm Desert, CA 92260
72900 Hwy. 111, Palm Desert, CA 92260
Models: Roland Zaleski, Nick Marcucci, Alexandra Lee, Manuel Schwarz, Zachary James, Margaret Peng.
Photography: Lara Rossignol
Hair and Makeup: Wendy Osmundson
Stylist: Ebony March