Desert Lexus Jazz Fest Moves to Indian Wells Tennis Garden
New venue expands event, talent offerings
(From left) Famed jazz saxophonists Dave Koz, Gerald Albright, Mindi Abair and Richard Elliot will perform May 3 at the Desert Lexus Jazz Festival in Indian Wells.
Photo Courtesy of Desert Lexus Jazz Festival
Famed jazz saxophonists Dave Koz, Mindi Abair, Gerald Albright, and Richard Elliot are returning to the desert May 3 to kickoff a new era as the Desert Lexus Jazz Festival moves to the Indian Wells Tennis Garden.
Koz, Abair, Albright and Elliot hit the road together last summer in support of their CD, “Dave Koz and Friends Summer Horns”, which received a Grammy nomination for Best Pop Instrumental Album.
As a pre-party to the Desert Lexus Jazz Festival, Abair’s new CD, “Wild Heart”, will be celebrated from 5:30-7:30 p.m. May 2 at a Welcome and Listening Party at the Miramonte Resort and Spa in Indian Wells.
"Palm Springs has always been a home away from home for me and my band,” says Abair. “My fans here are the best and always make us feel so welcome. It's so exciting to play this new music!"
A Wild and Heartfelt Pre-party
- Enjoy light appetizers and a no-host bar provided by the Miramonte.
- Question and answer with festival producer Jim “Fitz” Fitzgerald regarding recording of the new album and the various special guests.
- Abair will sign CDs and take photos with fans.
- Artist Marcel Majid will display his art.
Bigger and Better
Desert Lexus Jazz presented by the City of Indian Wells, a premier concert event in the Coachella Valley for the past 15 years, is taking advantage of the newly expanded grounds at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden to create a fun, relaxing atmosphere for jazz enthusiasts.
Early 2014 marked the opening of a permanent Stadium 2 with 8,000 seats and three gourmet restaurants, including Nobu, the world-famous Japanese restaurant. The site also features two 19,000 square foot shade structures.
“I am thrilled to be partnering with the Indian Wells Tennis Garden, and believe their site expansion and marvelous venue will lend itself perfectly for an incredible evening of contemporary jazz music,” says Fitzgerald, founder of Wendy Jayne Productions, Inc., and program director at KJJZ Radio. “Desert Lexus Jazz has had strong support over the years, and we are excited to keep growing this event in 2014 and the years to come.”
This year Fitz and participating sponsors Desert Arc, Avis Lending, CBS/KPSP TV 2, 102.3 KJJZ Radio, and The Gardens on El Paseo, expect nearly 2,000 guests to listen to headliner, Dave Koz and Friends Summer Horns and a star-studded line-up including:
- R&B contemporary jazz favorite Euge Groove, accompanied by American Idol sensation, Elliott Yamin.
- Award-winning composer and dynamic performer Will Donato with his hit single, “Grand Slam” currently on the Billboard Chart Top 30.
- Palm Desert saxophonist Chase Huna will play as guests arrive.