By Pamela Bieri
The legendary Riviera Palm Springs Boasts a new executive chef, who brings more than 20 years of culinary experience in notable kitchens across Europe and North America. Fresh from the Edgewater Hotel in Seattle, Washington, English-born Executive Chef John Roberts plans to bring elegant midcentury culinary traditions side-by-side with Circa 59’s already trendsetting new American cuisine.
“Hand-carved Châteaubriand and Caesar salad served tableside, chilled forks and salad plates are dining experiences that people remember from the ’50s and ’60s,” says Roberts. “We want to bring back Circa 59 and re-ignite the legends that began here.”
Elegant renditions of classic dishes as well as new modern inspirations combine to make Circa 59 an exciting, memory-stirring experience for everyone. Committed to culinary excellence, Roberts sources farm-fresh, locally sourced produce, boutique meats, and eco-friendly seafood.
Modern rendition of classic dishes include a Macaroni and Cheese that becomes an upgrade with fresh Maine lobster and truffle essence, while the always popular Wedge Salad is dressed with candied bacon and jalapeno-cilantro spiked buttermilk dressing. The simply prepared sautéed sea scallops or Scottish salmon with chimichurri sauce and lemon. Reprised classics at lunch range from the Ol’ Blue Eyes Burger with bacon, blue cheese, and arugula; the Waldorf salad with apples, grapes, celery, candied walnuts, and chicken in green goddess dressing; or enjoy breakfast at lunch with three eggs prepared any style.
Circa 59’s eclectic boutique wine list has received the numerous Awards of Excellence from Wine Spectator; Santé Magazine’s Excellence in Spirits accolade; and Open Table’s best outdoor dining award.
Open for Sunday brunch, breakfast, lunch, and dinner, from 7 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. Sunday through Thursday, and 10 p.m. Friday and Saturday.
CIRCA 59 at Riviera Palm Springs
1600 North Indian Canyon Drive, Palm Springs, CA 92262
760-327-8311 • www.psriviera.com
• Chilled Heirloom Tomato Soup — Pine nuts, Parmesan crème fraîche, basil puree, and crisp garlic
• Kale Caesar Salad — Tomatoes, croutons, and lemon
• Salmon Crudo — Hearts of palm, jicama, mango, sesame ponzu, and red curry oil.
• Truffle Mushroom Flatbread — Gruyere and Fontina cheese, caramelized onion, and chives
• Lobster Mac and Cheese with truffle and Parmesan
• Tuna Tacos — Avocado, chili aioli, and micro cilantro
• Grilled Beef Tenderloin — Short rib ravioli, vanilla carrot puree, wilted spinach, and balsamic reduction
• Soy Glazed Tuna — Vegetable noodles, avocado wasabi aioli, crisp won ton, and golden tomato yuzu broth
• Pan Roasted Salmon — Pea tendrils, wild mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, English peas, herb gnocchi and lemon herb vinaigrette
• Molten Chocolate Cake — Pinot Noir roasted strawberries, strawberry curd, coco paper, and vanilla whip
• Cherry Blossom Fizz
• Jalisco Heat
• Tea Garden Cooler
• Sauvignon Blanc, Craggy Range Te Muna Road, Martinborough
• Chardonnay, Neyers, Napa
• Riesling, Chateau Ste. Michelle/ Dr. Loosen “Eroica,” Columbia Valley
• Domaines Ott “Les Domaniers,” Côtes de Provence
• Pinot Noir, Beaulieu Vineyard “Reserve,” Carneros
• Meritage, Inglenook “Rubicon,” Napa
• Shiraz, Penfolds “Bin 28,” South Australia