By Pamela Bieri
Celebrating their fifth season in bringing guests the “warmth, beauty, and soul of the countries of the Mediterranean sun,” owners Jennifer and Christophe Douheret continue to share their passion for authentic European foods, fine gifts, and delightful treats at Clementine’s.
“Our success hinges on our authenticity, affordability, and gracious hospitality,” says Jennifer. “Anyone who enters Clementine a stranger, leaves as a friend. We know many of our customers by name; there’s a real sense of community. You’re bound to run into a friend while stopping by for a quick lunch or drink.”
The gourmet marketplace and café expanded two years ago to El Paseo and Highway 74, from its tiny patisserie beginnings in 2010 next to Trader Joe’s. Clementine’s colorful home gifts section offers a bright array to welcome guests. Next are showcases of luscious pastries and desserts and deli cases where gourmet meats, salamis, cheeses, and specialty salads can be ordered to take away. Or peruse the showcases before being seated for table service in the delightful café surrounded by imaginative artwork for lunch, dinner, and week-end brunch.
Chef Gavin Gräbe changes the menu seasonally to offer whatever is fresh and available, while keeping signature dishes updated. From fresh beet salad with goat cheese and apples, kale Caesar, a cauliflower crudo, and a mélange of fresh melon to the deli salads that are an ever changing array of seasonal opulence.
Known as a “house of rosé,” Clementine’s wines portray rosés from the south of France to premier whites and reds from California’s wine regions, and offers Le Grande Courtage Brut as its house bubbly, all agreeable with the sunny Mediterranean cuisine. Imported beers, espresso, lattes, teas, flavored fizz waters, and sodas are also available.
Plans this season are to create a more inviting exterior with lighting and new awnings, as well as update the interior when the store reopens in September with a new wine/cappuccino bar. With a liquor license in the works, the Douherets hope to serve a full bar later in the year, just in time for season.
Clementine Gourmet Marketplace & Café
72990 El Paseo, Palm Desert, CA 92260
760-834-8814 • www.clementineshop.com
LUNCH & WEEKEND BRUNCH
• Baked Egg Ficelle — mini baguette baked with eggs and Gruyere cheese, topped with sour cream and chives
• Quiche Lorraine
PANINI & HOT SANDWICHES
• Bacon, Tomato Panini with Havarti Cheese and basil pesto
• Middle Eastern Falafel Pita
• Manage a Trois — choice of three salads from the deli showcase
• Stuffed Avocado — choice of Salad, tomato, arugula, parsley
SELECT YOUR PASTA
• Spaghetti, Ballerini, Penne, Pappardelle, Fettuccini, Ricotta Ravioli
SELECT YOUR SAUCE
• Marinara Pomodoro, Walnut and Almond Pesto, Alfredo, Bolognese, Al Burro, and Formaggio
• Steaks, Seafood, Flatbreads, Risotto, Pasta & Salads, all done with a Mediterranean twist!
• Le Grand Courtage Brut, France
• Prosecco, Ganacia, Italy
• Domaine Chandon Etoile, Yountsville, California
• Rose, France
WHITES & ROSÉS
• Frogs Leap, Chardonnay, Napa, California
• Louis Latour, Pouilly Fuisse, France
• Justin, Sauvignon Blanc California
• Rosé Coteaux d’Aix-en-Provence, Comanderie de la Bargemone, France
• Rosé les Cimets, Provence, France
• Pinot Noir, Meiomi Central Coast, California
• Justin, Cabernet Sauvignon, Paso Robles, California
• Simi, Merlot, Napa, California
• Clos de L’Oratoire, Châteauneuf-du-Pape, France