By Pamela Bieri
Tucked inside the three-acre, walled, Tuscan-inspired estate of Villa Royale Inn, Europa Restaurant embodies the rich luxury of Old World Europe with innovative cosmopolitan cuisine.
With texture and warmth, the restaurant’s rich brocade fabrics, rustic brick floors, hand hewn walls, tear-drop crystal chandeliers, and lovely arched French doors frame gardens verdant with bougainvillea, citrus, lavender, and jasmine. Stone fountains around the grounds and patios spill their refreshing sound.
Once the home of Olympic figure skaterturned actress, Sonja Henie, Villa Royale has welcomed celebrities, artists, authors, scientists and other luminaries into its tranquil sanctuary since the 1940s. With Hollywood connections until 2006, the Inn and Europa were owned by actress Amy Quino and Emmy award-winner Tony Shaloub and his actress wife Brooke Adams. Today, owner David Shahriari continues the legacy of warm, attentive service to guests at this historic 32-room inn, where each guestroom is individually decorated.
Award winning Chef Alen Badzak brings a made-to-order menu to the storied Europa Restaurant using sustainable and locally sourced products whenever possible. Badzak was recently named one of America’s top chefs in Best Chef America’s inaugural edition.
Badzak’s opulent menu changes seasonally, bringing the freshest ingredients to the table, and creating dishes that tempt the most discriminating diner.
In addition to the main restaurant with its various private nooks and charming crannies, is a separate dining room with its own fireplace, seating 12. A cozy, burnished wood bar is opposite this room and accessible from the courtyard giving hotel and restaurant guests a place to sit and sip a cool cocktail, glass of fine wine, or craft brew.
Europa Restaurant is open to the public for dinner from 5 p.m. throughout the year.
Europa Restaurant at Villa Royale Inn
1620 S. Indian Trail, Pam Springs, CA 92262
• Seared Wild Scallops in White Truffle Aioli
• New Zealand Mussels and Manila Clams in White Wine
• Escargot Villa Franche in Garlic Parsley Butter sprinkled with Point Reyes Blue Cheese
• Lake Superior White Fish in Lemon Caper Butter Sauce
• Herb Marinated Rack of Lamb
• Korobuta Pork Osso Bucco
• Flourless Chocolate Torte with Molten Ganache served with Vanilla Bean Gelato
• Chardonnay, Cakebread Cellars
• Puligny-Montrochet, Joseph Drouhin
• Super Tuscan, Quercibella
• Cade Cuvée, Napa Valley
• Chateau Leoville, Los Cases, St Jukkian
• Pinot Noir, Emeritus Hallberg, Ranch Russian River