By Pamela Bieri
Tinto is the creation of one of the country’s most innovative chefs: Food Network Iron Chef and James Beard Award winner Jose Garces. It is inspired from the rich culture and culinary tradition of the Basque country of Northern Spain.
“I always felt there was something transportive about Palm Springs, with its echoes of Hollywood glamour and the way that Los Angelenos have long thought of it as a nearby escape,” said Garces. “So bringing Tinto to the area felt natural to me, as it’s a restaurant inspired by my travels in the Basque region of Spain and one of my own favorite places to escape.”
Tinto is the ultimate expression of what a Spanish wine bar should be — an intimate setting with indoor and outdoor dining options. Its interior is reminiscent of Spanish wine cellars with custom–crafted wooden wine racks, deep black and brown tones highlighted by lavender upholstered banquettes, intimate booths or long wood block community tables for groups. Natural light streams in from glass doors that overlook The Saguaro’s patio and pool. Guests may also enjoy seasonal outdoor dining with fi replaces in winter.
Tinto’s focus is on small plates — or pintxos — found in traditional pintxo bars. Such delectable dishes as the Basque region’s cheeses and charcuterie selections; duck montadito with duck confi t, Serrano ham, black cherry and La Peral spread; or baconwrapped dates with almond, pearl onion and valdeon fondue are all meant to be shared.
An expansive weekend brunch features an even greater selection of delectable tastes for which Tinto is known, including Spanish-inspired dishes such as the revuelto, soft-scrambled eggs with Dungeness crab, roasted pepper, potato and asparagus; Tinto Eggs Benedict with chorizo pamplona; and Torrijas, citrus-vanilla French toast topped with berries and whipped cream.
Open for dinner 5 to 10 p.m. Thursday through Sunday, and until 11 p.m. Friday and Saturday. Brunch Saturday and Sunday 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
1700 East Palm Canyon Drive, Palm Springs, CA 92262
• Duck Montadito — duck confit, Serrano ham, black cherry, la peral spread
• Lamb Brochette — lamb loin, eggplant, bacon, sherry jus
• Crab Montadito — Dungeness crab, espelette chile, avocado
• Bacon-wrapped Dates — bacon, almond, pearl onion, valdeon fondue
PESCADOS Y CARNES
(Fish & Meat)
• Merluza — sea bass, cockles, salsa verde
• Roast Chicken — San Joaquin jidori chicken truffle jus, roasted torpedo onion
• Escalivada — fire-roasted eggplant, piquillo, tomato, pine nut toast, goat cheese
• Spinach — wilted bloomsdale spinach, red currants, toasted pine nut, sherry glaze
• Chilled Beans — ventresca tuna, toasted hazelnut, quail egg, buttermilk lemon vinaigrette
• Artichokes — fried pezzini farms artichokes, meyer lemon crema, shaved idiazabal
• Bunuelos — donuts, date jam, spiced honey, date-olive oil ice cream
• Chocolate mousse — flourless chocolate cake, passion fruit sorbet
• Albarino, Ramon Bilbao, ‘Valinas’, Rias Biaxas, 2011
• Verdejo, Ermita de Nieve, Rueda, 2011
• Tempranillo, Senorio de Valdehermoso ‘Joven’, Ribera del Duero, 2011
• Tinto de Toro, Bodegas Rejadorado ‘Rosum’, Toro, 2010