Palm Springs Cracks Top 10 for Highest Summer Bookings Increase
City shows more than 300 percent jump over a year
Accommodation bookings increased more than 300 percent in Palm Springs over last year with hotels like the Riviera.
Photo by Loretta Vlach
Palm Springs has been chosen as one of the top 10 destinations with the highest percentage increase in summer bookings over last year by Airbnb, the world's leading community-driven hospitality company.
Top trending destinations were determined by comparing bookings from Labor Day 2013 through April 2014 for travel from Memorial Day through Labor Day 2014 against bookings at the same destinations between Memorial Day and Labor Day last year.
Following one of the worst winters in memory for most of the country, vacationers have been booking their summer escapes in droves.
"It seemed like winter would never end this year and we can't wait to pack our bags and escape for the summer," said Chip Conley, Airbnb's Global Head of Hospitality and Strategy. "Airbnb is excited to share the hottest trending destinations on our site, all 10 of them seeing a booking boom of triple figures over last year."
Palm Springs showed a 334 percent increase as the city makes the transition from just a winter getaway to a year-round destination, according to Airbnb.
Nashville, home of country music, logged the greatest increase with 365 percent over last year.
The rest of the top 10 included:
2. New Orleans – Known for its great food and jazz, interest in the Big Easy is up 340 percent for summer getaways this year.
4. Portland, Maine – Long a popular New England destination, travel to Portland is up 328 percent.
5. Santa Barbara – Travelers are exploring a wider range of coastal locales on the west coast, and interest in this gem has risen 320 percent.
6. Oregon Coast – Golfers, sand-boarders and dune buggy enthusiasts love the Oregon coast, helping boost its popularity 316 percent this summer.
7. The Adirondacks – Whether it's the region's mountains, forests and wild landscapes, or just finding the right Adirondack chair by the water, New York State's playground was up 316 percent this year.
8. Denver – The mile high city saw bookings rise 306 percent.
9. Coastal Orange County – This area's beautiful beaches and easy living made it increase 306 percent.
10. Boulder – At the base of the Rocky Mountains, Boulder's summer bookings are up 291 percent.
Airbnb is an online marketplace for people to list, discover, and book unique accommodations around the world. More than 11 million guests have traveled with Airbnb since 2008.