Editors' Picks: 10 Things to Do, Sept. 23-29
What are your plans? Here's our suggestions
Coachella Valley artist Ryan "Motel" Campbell will display his artwork as part of a nine-artist show Sept. 28 at Gallery 446 in Palm Springs.
Every week, Palm Springs Life editors will put their heads together to create a list of 10 things to do during the week ahead including restaurant happenings, concerts, nightclub acts, special events and more.
There is plenty to do in the Greater Palm Springs area, and we want to make sure you know about it.
You can also keep tabs by accessing our online calendar.
Here's our picks for Sept. 23-29:
Monday, Sept. 23
• Film historian Stacy Davies will explore two stars of the Hollywood "vice film" oeuvre in "The Vamps and Vixens of Hollywood" starting with Claudette Colbert in Torch Singer from 2-4:30 p.m. at the Rancho Mirage Public Library.
Tuesday, Sept. 24
• “A Pictorial Journey Into the Past: Historical Images of Palm Springs” lets you see restored and rarely seen photographs selected from the Palm Springs Historical Society's extensive archives at 6:30 p.m. at the Palm Springs Public Library.
Wednesday, Sept. 25
• The perfect complement to any Book Club discussion is wine. The Wine Book Club, for readers 21 and older, will look at "Mr. Penumvra's 24-Hour Bookstore" by Robin Sloan at Azul in Palm Springs. Organized by the Palm Springs Public Library, the club is open to the public.
Thursday, Sept. 26
• Come meet the cast of the movie, Hidden Away, which was filmed in Palm Springs earlier this year, during a free screening at the Palm Springs Art Museum's Annenberg Theater. The art museum was a backdrop for several scenes in the movie along with the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway. Starts at 6 p.m. followed by a Q&A with the stars featuring Sean Patrick Flannery. Read a related story.
Friday, Sept. 27
• How about a mix of Tennessee Williams with Anne Rice? Sound scary? That's a good start for the premiere of "House of the Rising Son" at Desert Rose Playhouse at The Commissary in Rancho Mirage. Parasitologist Dr. Trent Varro brings his younger lover Felix back to New Orleans to meet his wealthy relatives set in New Orleans' French Quarter. Starts at 8 p.m.
• Time to tee it up in the 2013 Mayor's Cup Challenge at the La Quinta Country Club for a 9-hole scramble format followed by party with live entertainment, food, silent auction and raffle. Check-in at 3 p.m. and to the tees at 4 p.m. Registration closes Sept. 23.
Saturday, Sept. 28
• Joshua Tree National Park offers an array of classes to help expound on your inner creativity, like this one that teaches you how to capture the details of the desert with ink using both additive and subtractive drawing techniques on clayboard at the Joshua Tree Visitor Center.
• With proceeds benefiting Boo2Bullying.org, Gallery 446 in Palm Springs hosts a nine-artist exhibition, "The Fifth Element: The Golden Age of Street Art" from 6-10 p.m. Artists include Mear One, Curtis Kulig, David Flores, Annie Preece, Sebastian Walker, Gregory Siff, Skyler Grey, Ryan "Motel" Campbell, and Cryptik.
Sunday, Sept. 29
• Disco queen Thelma Houston comes to the Saguaro Hotel Palm Springs as part of Disco Tea Dance from 5-10 pm. with proceeds going to the AIDS Assistance Program.
• Broadway songs you know and love are part of Janene Lovullo's "Broadway Intimate" show at 2 p.m. at the Arthur Newman Theater inside The Joslyn Center in Palm Desert. Lovullo has appeared on Broadway in Cats, Les Miserables, and Pirates of Penzance.