Westin Mission Hills Earns 2013 Cool Planet Award
Honored for energy efficiency practices
The Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort and Spa in Rancho Mirage has been honored with a 2013 Cool Planet Award.
The Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort and Spa in Rancho Mirage has been honored with a 2013 Cool Planet Award for best energy efficient practices in the hospitality sector by The Climate Registry’s Cool Planet Project.
This award recognizes The Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort and Spa’s leadership in energy and carbon management.
“We are honored to be recognized with this prestigious award as a result of the efforts of our team who implemented the best practices and equipment to save energy and reduce our carbon footprint,” said Ross Meredith, general manager of The Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa. “We’re committed to a long-term approach to conservation.”
The 2013 Cool Planet award ceremony will be held Oct. 25 at The Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort and Spa. Other award winners include the City of Palm Springs, Coachella Valley Water District, County of Ventura, and Gills Onions.
Specific energy efficient measures implemented at the resort include:
• Major HVAC (Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning) upgrades including high efficiency chillers, a water-side economizer, and temperature reset strategies
• Lighting, including LEDs, high-efficiency fluorescents, and occupancy sensors
• Installation of VFDs (variable-frequency drives) for the chilled-water pumps and hot water pumps
For these projects, The Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa achieved annual savings of more than 1.1 million kilowatt-hours (kWh).
Additional energy efficiency measures currently being installed or planned include:
• Installation of VFDs on air handlers and ventilation fans
• Implementation of demand-controlled ventilation in their ballrooms and meeting areas
• Comprehensive lighting upgrades throughout the property to LED
• Upgrading the condenser water distribution system to optimal efficiency flow
• Installation of VFDs on condenser water pumps and cooling tower fan motors
• Installation of VFDs on water feature pumps throughout property and golf course