By Pamela Bieri
Tucked inside the walled, three-acre, Tuscan-inspired estate of Villa Royale Inn, Europa Restaurant embodies the rich luxury of old-world Europe with innovative cosmopolitan cuisine.
With texture and warmth, the restaurant’s rich brocade fabrics, rustic brick floors, hand-hewn walls, tear-drop crystal chandeliers, and lovely arched French doors frame gardens verdant with bougainvillea, citrus, lavender, and jasmine. Stone fountains around the grounds and patios spill their refreshing sound.
Once the home of Olympic figure skater-turned-actress Sonja Henie, Villa Royale has welcomed celebrities, artists, authors, scientists, and other luminaries into its tranquil sanctuary since the 1940s. With Hollywood connections until 2006, the Inn and Europa were owned by actress Amy Quino and Emmy Award winner Tony Shalhoub and his actress wife, Brooke Adams. Today, owner David Shahriari continues the legacy of warm, attentive service to guests at this historic 32-room inn, where each guestroom is individually decorated.
The storied Europa Restaurant offers a made-to-order menu using sustainable and locally sourced products whenever possible. The restaurant has won numerous, prestigious awards including AAA-Four Diamond Award the Wine Spectator Award, the Tripadvisor’s Award of Excellence, Zagat Guide award. Villa Royale Inn was voted the 2014 Best of the Best Boutique Inn by Palm Springs Life, is a Member of Select Registry, Member of Distinguished Inns of America and featured in Sunset magazine “as the most romantic Inn in the West.”
Europa’s opulent menu changes seasonally, bringing the freshest ingredients to the table and creating dishes that tempt the most discriminating diner.
In addition to the main restaurant with its various private nooks and charming crannies is a separate 12-seat dining room with its own fireplace. A cozy, burnished wood bar is opposite this room and accessible from the courtyard, giving hotel and restaurant guests a place to sit and sip a cool cocktail, glass of fine wine, or craft brew.
Europa Restaurant is open to the public for dinner from 5 p.m. throughout the year.
Europa Restaurant at Villa Royale Inn
1620 South Indian Trail, Palm Springs, CA 92262
760-327-2314 • www.villaroyale.com
• Seared Wild Scallops in white truffle aioli
• New Zealand Mussels and Manila Clams in white wine
• Escargot Villa Franche in garlic parsley butter sprinkled with Point Reyes blue cheese
• Lake Superior White Fish in lemon caper butter sauce
• Herb-marinated Rack of Lamb
• Kurobuta Pork Osso Buco
• Flourless Chocolate Torte with molten ganache served with vanilla bean gelato
• Chardonnay, Cakebread Cellars
• Puligny-Montrachet, Joseph Drouhin
• Super Tuscan, Querciabella
• Cabernet Sauvignon Cade Cuvée, Napa Valley
• Pinot Noir Château Leoville Las Cases, Saint Julian, Bordeaux
• Emeritus Hallberg Ranch, Russian River
• Chateau Montelena, Napa Valley