By Lawrence Karol
For more than 22 years Kaiser Grille has been known as, “the critics’ choice and the locals’ favorite.” It’s easy to see why both of those constituencies continue to be fans of the restaurant’s California-American cuisine. Kaiser Grille’s attention to detail is unparalleled, and the staff’s passion and commitment to its food and service is apparent from the moment you walk through the front door.
The diverse, moderately-priced menu has been cleverly crafted to offer something for everyone — from a large array of appetizers and salads to wood-fired pizzas, to meats, seafood, and pasta. The restaurant is fanatical about using only the freshest, best ingredients, and all of their sauces, dressings, and stocks are made from scratch, daily. Fish and steaks are cut by hand in-house, and the steaks are aged on site for a minimum of three weeks. They’re also known as “never never” beef, meaning they’ve never seen hormones or antibiotics.
At Kaiser Grille they know that people also like to have choices when it comes to their dining environment. That’s why the restaurant has multiple dining spaces that each have a different feel. The front room has high ceilings, high energy, and features colorful abstract art and a mix of cool, modern light fixtures. The lowered ceiling and comfortable booths in the back area provide a sense of intimacy, while affording a wide-open view into the glass-enclosed exhibition kitchen. If you really want to be part of the action, ample seating on the two large outdoor wraparound patios is raised slightly above street level to provide a better people-watching perch.
Don’t miss the restaurant’s happy hour, featuring their hand-crafted cocktails prepared with premium ingredients. And stop by for the best early-bird menu in the valley, which includes the restaurant’s famous roasted prime rib of beef. It’s all just a part of the personalized experience you can expect when you dine at Kaiser Grille, where quality is an everyday passion.
Kaiser Grille is open for lunch, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., daily; happy hour: 3 to 6 p.m., daily; dining room: 5 to 9:30 p.m., Sun.-Thurs.; 5 to 10 p.m., Fri. and Sat.
205 South Palm Canyon Drive, Palm Springs, CA 92262
• Kaiser Trio — Hummus, marinated roasted peppers, olive tapenade, sesame wafers, pita bread
• Split Pea Soup with Andouille sausage
• Mediterranean Salad
• Roasted Prime Rib of Beef
• Kaiser’s Mixed Grille — Salmon, Australian sea bass, mahi mahi, basmati rice, mango beurre blanc, tropical salsa
• Penne with shrimp, pesto, sweet tomatoes, peas, crispy pancetta, goat cheese
• Chicken Spinach Artichoke
• Chocolate Mint Mousse Cake
• Kaiser Meringue Mushroom Tarte Tatin
Wines are available by the bottle and in 9 ounce or 6 ounce pours
• Zinfandel, 2009 Storybook “Mayacamas Range”
• Red Blend, 2010 Tikal “Patriota”
• Pinot Noir, 2009 Robert Stemmler Winery “Nugent Vineyard”
• Chardonnay, 2008 Baileyana Winery “Grand Firepeak Cuvee”
• Chardonnay, 2008 Newton “Unfiltered”
• Organic Sauvignon Blanc, 2010 Patianna
• Antioxidant Martini — Muddled fresh blueberries, huckleberry vodka, St. Germain Liqueur, white cranberry, lime juice
• Pineapple Jalapeño Margarita
• Vesper Martini — Tanqueray, splash of Smirnoff, Lillet Blanc, shaken with a twist
• North Coast Scrimshaw Pilsner
• Green Flash Hop Head Red IPA
• Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale