Palm Spring Historical Sites - Building and Land Markers
← Return to search
Map123 North Palm Canyon
Palm Springs, CA 92262
One of the two Historical site plaques located in Palm Springs by the Country of Riverside.
On this site, in 1908, Nellie N. Coffman (1867-1950), her husband, Harry, and two sons, George Roberson and Earl Coffman, established a small health resort hotel, the Desert Inn. Her ability, determination, and charm extended the resort's reputation and people came from all over the world. In 1927, a modern hotel replaced the earlier structures. Nellie's love and charitable works for the community earned her the title of Mother Coffman. The hotel gave way to a shopping complex in 1967.