Palm Spring Historical Sites - Building and Land Markers
Edit ModuleShow Tags
← Return to search
Frances S. Stevens School
Map538 North Palm Canyon
Palm Springs, CA 92262
Prescott T. Stevens, developer of the El Mirador Hotel, donated this site and the funds to build the Frances S. Stevens School, in memory of his wife and her interest in education. The first two rooms were completed in 1927. Katherine Finchy, who arrived in Palm Springs in 1922, became this school's first administrator. Palm Springs' first bond issue provided additional classrooms, a library, indoor plumbing, a cafeteria, an apartment for the principal, and a large auditorium which served as the city's first theater. The City of Palm Springs later purchased the facility as a cultural arts center; then Vice President Gerald Ford dedicated the center, known as Everybody's Village, in 1974.
HSPB-7. This plaque sponsored by the McCallum Desert Foundation.