Palm Spring Historical Sites - Building and Land Markers
Edit ModuleShow Tags
← Return to search
Palm Springs Desert Museum
Map101 North Museum Drive
Palm Springs, CA 92262
The Palm Springs Desert Museum, founded in 1938, has occupied three distinct locations in downtown Palm Springs. This building, designed by local architect E. Stewart William, AIA, was first opened in 1976. Williams then designed an expansion that was completed in 1996. The architecture acknowledges the quality of desert light, the colors of the landscape and the mood created by its site at the base of Mt. San Jacinto. The building borrows color from the sunburned patina of mountain rock while its simplicity and massiveness relate to the imposing backdrop. The architectural aesthetic enhances the appreciation of the objects and space within the Museum environment.
This plaque is sponsored by the Annenberg Foundation.