Palm Spring Historical Sites - Building and Land Markers
← Return to search
The Original Palm Springs
Map100 North Indian Canyon
Palm Springs, CA 92262
One of the two Historical site plaques located in Palm Springs by the Country of Riverside.
The warm spring here was the site of Se-Khe (boiling water), important village of the Kawasic Cahuilla Indians. The Spanish called it Agua Caliente (hot water). A stage station of that name operated from 1862 to 1876. As early as 1871 the Indians operated a bath house for tourists and the site is still tribally owned. Because of the surrounding native palm trees, it was later called "Palm Springs."