Marker Details: One of the two Historical site plaques located in Palm Springs by the Country of Riverside. On this site, in 1908, Nellie N. Coffman (1867-1950), her husband, Harry, and two sons, George Roberson and Earl Coffman, established a small health resort hotel, the Desert Inn. Her ability, determination, and charm extended the resort's reputation and people came from all over the world. In 1927, a modern hotel replaced the earlier structures. Nellie's love and charitable works for the community earned her the title of Mother Coffman. The hotel gave way to a shopping complex in 1967.