Marker Details: The McCallum Adobe, the oldest remaining building in Palm Springs, was built in 1885 for John and Emily McCallum, the area's first white settlers. Originally constructed on the corner of Palm Canyon Drive and Tahquitz Way, and later a part of the Oasis Hotel, the McCallum Adobe was moved to this site during the early 1950s. Pearl McCallum McManus donated this land to the City with the condition that the McCallum Adobe be preserved on it. The building now serves as the museum and headquarters of the Palm Springs Historical Society. The names and symbols carved into some of the adobe blocks are believed to be those of the workmen who formed the blocks. HPSB-5. This plaque sponsored by the McCallum Desert Foundation.