Marker Details: Plans for Our Lady of Solitude church were begun in February 1926 under the direction of Father Philip LaVies, who came weekly to Palm Springs from the Indian mission school in Banning. In 1928, temporary church services began on this site, obtained from the Southern Pacific Railroad with the help of P.T. Stevens. Our Lady of Solitude, a Mission Revival structure, was completed in 1930. The builder was Alvah Hicks, a local contractor, and the architect was Albert Martin, who designed the Los Angeles City Hall and Loyola College. The rectory on Alejo Road was added in 1964, while the parish center, facing Belardo Road, was completed in 1976. HSPB-15. This plaque sponsored by the McCallum Desert Foundation.