Marker Details: The Welwood Murray Cemetery was the first community cemetery for white settlers in the Palm Springs area. When Welwood Erskine Murray, the son of pioneer hotel operator Welwood Murray, died in 1894, he was buried on this small parcel of land. During the next decade, the Murrays allowed other burials and Welwood Murray himself was interred in this cemetery in 1914. Following his death, this site became a part of the newly-formed Palm Springs Cemetery District. HSPB-2. This plaque sponsored by the McCallum Desert Foundation.