Father’s Day once meant giving Dad his space, a chance to do his own thing or spend time with his buddies.
There is still some of that, certainly in the way of gifts.
But the actual day is an extended celebration of family, recognizing Dad for everything he contributes.
We’ve put together a list of restaurants and activities in Palm Springs and the surrounding desert towns for June 16, presented in no particular order.
What are your plans to honor Dad? Share yours with us by leaving a comment at the bottom of the story.
• Fleming’s Steakhouse in Rancho Mirage offers a three-course brunch for $36.95 from 11:30 a.mm. to 3 p.m. and Dad receives a $25 dining card for a future visit. Roy’s in Rancho Mirage also offers a $25 dining card for Dad starting at 11 a.m. with their two-course brunch for $29.95 per person.
• Take in a Palm Springs Power baseball game on June 16, and Dads have a chance to get on the field for special contests and promotions. One contest is Dizzy Bat, where Dad bends over and presses his forehead to the tip of the bat handle, spinning around numerous times and then racing to tag Rock the Mascot. Game time is 7:05 p.m.
• Melvyn’s Restaurant in Palm Springs is like a trip back in time with a fully restored 1895 carved oak and mahogany bar, photos from long ago on the wall, antiques and waiters in linen jackets. Dad’s Day Brunch is served from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. and all entrees are served with complimentary fresh fruit, baked goods and champagne.
• Trio Restaurant in Palm Springs will offer a three-course prix fixe menu for $26 per person.
• For that meat and potatoes Dad, take him to Morton’s The Steakhouse in Palm Desert. The $69 per person price tag includes a choice of salad, entrée selections like center-cut Filet Mignon, Chicken Bianco, Honey-Chili Glazed Salmon Fillet, and dessert of Key Lime pie, double chocolate mousse or individual soufflé.
• Emerald Desert RV Resort in Palm Desert is putting two sure-fire items together, Beer and Brats, with a barbecue from 3-5 p.m. June 15. There is also a horseshoe tournament. For tickets, call (866) 477-6154.
• Tacos & Tequila at Morongo Casino, Resort and Spa will treat Dads with a shrimp and steak special priced at $24 per person. Enjoy a delicious shrimp ceviche and steak borracho.
• Wanna get away? Cambria Inns, located halfway between San Francisco and Los Angeles, is offering a some freebies with a two-nigh stay at either the Castle Inn or Sand Pebbles Inn. The perks include a fresh homemade berry pie from Cambria’s own Linn’s Fruit Bin, a 10 percent discount toward any Linn’s Fruit Bin purchase and a beach bucket filled with toys and sweet treats for the kids.
• Dads gain free admission with a paid child of any age to the Palm Springs Air Museum on June 16. Explore one of the largest collections of World War II flyable planes. Open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• Take Dad to one of three concerts on June 15. The Doobie Brothers perform at 8 p.m. at Fantasy Springs Resort Casino in Indio; Bad Company starring Paul Rodgers cranks up at 8 p.m. at The Show at Agua Caliente Casino Resort Spa in Rancho Mirage, and The Little River Band takes the stage at 8 p.m. at Spotlight 29 Casino in Coachella.
For more Father's Day ideas, check our comprehensive events calendar.