Mirela Marinescu is living proof that one thing can definitely lead to another.
As owner and founder of both Mirela’s Spa Du Jour in La Quinta and The International School of Beauty in Palm Desert, Marinescu logged considerable time trying to find the perfect coloring formula to use at the school.
"I needed something that was easy to work with for the students, economical, yet exceptional in quality,” Marinescu says.
The research led to the birth of her third business, Strands Professional Hair Color. Available in 62 shades, a key ingredient in the product is Argan oil, which increases hair shine and keeps it healthy.
Marinescu cites her “deep passion for beauty” as the driving factor for the product line, and why it has led to yet another opportunity.
Strands Professional Hair Color is sponsoring the kick-off event to Fashion Week El Paseo with Style & Beauty Bash and Fashion Frenzy, running nearly simultaneously from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. March 16 under the Toscana Country Club white tent on Larkspur Lane just off El Paseo in Palm Desert. Admission is free.
Strands Professional Hair Color will participate in the Extreme Hair event at 12:30 p.m. during Style & Beauty Bash and also award two full tuition scholarships for The International School of Beauty. Thirty beauty salons, hair and makeup specialists wil be on hand to pamper both men and women for a $30 donation, which goes to a variety of charities.
Appointments can be made in advance. Here are the participating salons:
- A-List Mobile Makeup Studio : 760-776-6800
- Alankara Salon: 760-777-8188
- Allicy Palm Salon: 760-341-8080
- A Barber’s Lounge : 760-534-3907
- The Ageless Secret : 760-341-2255
- Aveda El Paseo Experience Center : 760-773-2662
- Blo-Dry-Bar @ R&B Studio : 760-346-8622
- Chella Brow Bar : 805-383-7711
- International School of Beauty Indio: 760-775-6600; Palm Desert : 760-674-1624
- Just Blow Drys: 760-568-2569
- Lavish Lengths Hair Extensions: 760-558-9569
- Raphael’s Salon & Spa : 760-320-7827
- Salon 119 & Spa: 760-327-2800
- Sensational Hair Salon : 760-779-5911
- Spa at Rancho Las Palmas: 760-568-2727
- Strands Hair Color : 760-564-6566
- Shear Hair Design : 760-340-1377
- Sherry Mesa The Salon! : 760-862-9013
- Wink Lash & Beauty Bar : 760-340-5274
Fashion Frenzy is a first-time showcase of 20 fine designers and retailers via pop-up stores. One of the participating designers, BG’s Eclectic Woman’s Apparel, is well known locally thanks to a 20-year history dating back to current owner Elyssa Goldberg’s parents.
Goldberg says BG’s clothing caters to the “desert lifestyle,” and encourages their clientele to “step outside the box,” mixing trends, prints, colors, and fabrics.
Many the lines BGs carries are exclusive to the store and popular nationally, including a line of sweaters called “ Ball of Cotton,” which Ralph Lauren used to knit the sweaters for the last Olympics.
Other participating retailers include:
- Diane’s Beachwear – Palm Desert
- Alexis Hunter
- Joe Vilawan Fine Jewelry
- Harriet Selig
- Odessa Christina
- Shekel handbags
- Designer Rentals
- She She with Free People and She She Kids
The first of six runway shows, Le Chien – A Celebration of Dogs & Fashion, follows at 6 p.m.
To purchase tickets, visit www.fashionweekelpaseo.com