According to the Chinese Zodiac, 2014 is the year of the horse.
So saddle up because there are a ton of choices available to usher in the New Year, whether that is simply a nice meal out or a complete package of food, drinks and entertainment. The Greater Palm Springs area offers all of that and more.
• New Year's Eve "Rockin' the Gatsby" at the Hard Rock Hotel Palm Springs: Meet special guest Rodiney Santiago from the LOGO Network's "The A-List New York" for a retro evening of songs from Baz Luhrmann's soundtrack to "The Great Gatsby". You can even dress the part in 1920s wardrobes. The evening starts at 7:30 with cocktails, followed by dinner, the show and a post-show dance party with a champagne toast at midnight.
• New York New Year's Eve Party: Proceeds benefit Desert Arc, which assists developmentally disabled people. The evening at the Miramonte Resort & Spa includes a buffet dinner, music, dancing, a spa gift card, party favors and watching the televised ball drop in Times Square.
Jake's in Palm Springs: No special seating times and order from the menu. Simple yet just as enjoyable. Look for items like Jake's Wedge or Opal Roll for Starters, and Salmon Dyn-o-mite or Blue Moon Filet Mignon among the Mains.
• The Tropicale menu features a starter, entrees and dessert including items like Stone Crab Bisque with Potato Crisps and Servuga Caviar, Vegan Kabocha Squash "Pot Pie", and Bittersweet Chocolate Torte paired with a salted Orange Shortbread and Cognac Macerated Dried Fruits.
• Jillian's Fine Dining in Palm Desert will have two seatings New Years Eve at 6 and 9 p.m., respectively, and feature a set menu and price. Entree choices include Stuffed Dover Sole Neptune and Beef Wellington.
• Roys in Rancho Mirage: Four-course dinner with a spotlight on the Shellfish Hot Pie that mixes Alaskan King Crab, Lobster Tail, Sea Scallops and Tiger Shrimp only on New Year's Eve.
• The Purple Room Palm Springs: The first of three seatings starts at 5:30 p.m. with The Michael Holmes Trio followed by two sets with The Gand Band including the mid-evening show with Palm Springs' own Bobbie Eakes. The last seating comes with unlimited champagne and win, or just sit at the bar starting at 10 p.m. for a flat fee with unlimited beer, champagne and wine. Balloons drop at midnight.
• The New York Company Restaurant in Palm Springs will have live entertainment from singer/pianist Lori Donato during two seatings (6:30 p.m. and 9 p.m.) featuring a choice of entrees like Grilled Filet Mignon, Chilean Sea Bass and Lobster Tail.
• Fleming Prime Steakhouse & Wine Bar in Rancho Mirage: Special three-course menu entices you with a starter of roasted prosciutto=wrapped shrimp, topped with rich tomato jam and cilantro. From there look at an enrees of Filet Mignon with cabernet sauce paired with an 8-ounce Lobster Tail.
• The Purple Palm at The Colony Palms Hotel: Two seatings at 6 and 9 p.m, respectively, bring a menu featuring Kusshi Oyster to start, Lobster Black Truffly Risotto as the main and Brioche Brulee to finish. The second seating also receives party favors and champagne.
• The newly christened Vue at the Indian Wells Golf Resort will serve New Year's Eve from 5 p.m. to midnight with a prix fixe menu. Highlights include Duck Prosciutto for a starter, Grilled Veal Loin for an entree, Buttermilk Panna Cotta for dessert, and live entertainment by John McCormick.
• Tinto's at Saguaro Palm Springs: Reservations start at 6 p.m. Four courses feature offerings like Cheese Mixto, Coachella Dates, Pacific Monkfish, and Buñuelos.
• Tacos & Tequila at Morongo Casino Resort & Spa: Will host a countdown to midnight and complimentary tequila shots. The restaurant and bar will be open late and the resident DJ will be spinning the hottest beats from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m.
• Vicky's of Santa Fe: Dinner reservations start at 5 p.m. with the regular menu and prices. Singer Liz Warner rings in 2014 plus champagne values, party favors and dancing.
• Hyatt Regency Indian Wells: Chef Geoff Bogorad at Lantana Restaurant will present a four-course, prix-fixe meal with items like Skuna Bay salmon, braised Kobe short rib, truffle sunchoke puree and roasted turnips, and complimentary glass of champagne. Entertainment by John Stanley King with party favors and champagne toast at midnight.