There were two main ditches built to disperse water through Palm Springs in its early days; the Tahquitz Ditch and the Whitewater Ditch.
The Palm Springs International Film Festival draws thousands of film enthusiasts from all over the world to the Coachella Valley, but the desert has for many decades been a haven for filmmakers.
While other cities across the nation fight freezing temperatures, Palm Springs celebrates the Thanksgiving holiday poolside.
By the mid-1960s, Palm Springs could claim the highest per capita pool rate, one for every six residents or a staggering 2,000 pools.
In November of 1955, the Palm Springs Historical Society, Palm Springs City Council, and Palm Springs Chamber of Commerce organized an event to celebrate the pioneers of Palm Springs.
During the 1950s, the Palm Springs Villager magazine ran a monthly recipe column entitled, “Gourmet at Large” featuring Chi Chi Chef Ernie Glaser, who organized a recipes contest.
Still a thriving shopping center, La Plaza breathes life into Palm Springs’ downtown shopping district just as it has done for more than 70 years.
In addition to owning Sportsman’s Headquarters and its Palm Springs rifle range, Harry Mann and his wife Ruby were quite the hunters.
Opened in the early 1930s, the 139 Club was housed in what was a private residence in Cathedral City, and the name was derived from its numerical address.
Though they may not be apparent to an outsider, there are many alluring things about Palm Springs from June through August.