Palm Springs Mayor Florian Boyd tossed out the first baseball of the opening game of the 1956 Palm Springs Little League Series on June 7, 1956.
The Little League players all stood at attention around the baseball diamond with their hats held in their right hand, saluted the flag, and then in unison recited the Little League Oath. City dignitaries and Little League officials were introduced to the participating ballplayers and spectators.
Three new regulation size Little League diamonds with fences that circle the outfields were fashioned by volunteers prior to the season opener. Banners advertising local businesses that sponsored the league were lined up around the inside of the fence where spectators easily saw them.
A few well-hit balls made it over the fence and immediately for the first time in the history of Palm Springs Little League baseball the crowd knew, without a doubt, they had witnessed a home run.
There is a multitude of ways to learn more about Palm Springs, which turned 75 in 2013.
One of the more intriguing methods is by exploring the city’s history.
The Palm Springs Historical Society will share a weekly story whose time and place corresponds with today.
The Palm Springs Historical Society is located at 221 S. Palm Canyon Drive. Visit www.pshistoricalsociety.org for more information.