In December 1945, an announcement was made that a large parking lot capable of storing 250 cars should be installed at the intersection of Andreas Road and Indian Avenue.
According to the Retail Merchants committee of the Chamber of Commerce, the free parking lot would be located directly behind the Greyhound Bus Station (now Woody’s Burgers) on a large area of land, approximately four acres.
An appeal for contributions from merchants and other businesses to finance the installation and operation of the parking lot for the remaining 1945-46 winter season was sent out by mail. This plan was being considered as a partial solution to the serious traffic congestion from Amado to Arenas on Palm Canyon Drive.
Seems like history has repeated itself 70 years later, but this time Measure J funds have been allocated from a 1 percent citywide sales tax to pay for the additional parking to alleviate the traffic congestion in the downtown area, once again from Amado to Arenas on Palm Canyon Drive.
There is a multitude of ways to learn more about Palm Springs, which turned 75 in 2013.
One of the more intriguing methods is by exploring the city’s history.
The Palm Springs Historical Society will share a weekly story whose time and place corresponds with today.
The Palm Springs Historical Society is located at 221 S. Palm Canyon Drive. Visit www.pshistoricalsociety.org for more information.