In the summer of 1955, an official ground breaking was held for the ever popular Sunmor neighborhood.
The north Palm Springs neighborhood is located east of Farrell Drive, north of Andreas Road, west of Airlane Drive and south of Tamarisk Road to include the following streets: Juanita Drive, Julian Road, the east side of Farrell Drive, Helena Circle, Jill Circle, Leslie Circle, Lynn Circle, Morsun Circle, Louella Road, Livmor Avenue, Easmor Circle, Plaimor Avenue, Sybil Road, and Airlane Drive.
Planning the 213-acre division was Sands Realty and Development Company, which hired the design firm of Donald Wexler and Ric Harrison to prepare plans for the first 10 homes to be built by Robert C. Higgins.
Sunmor became the first community in Palm Springs to have a complete sewer system installed prior to construction.
According to the announcement, the first built homes were to be equipped with "slumpstone fireplaces, a living-dining area with glass walls and sliding doors, separate breakfast room with pass-through bar to living room, kitchen with built-in gas wall ovens and separate cooking top, garbage disposals, and bathrooms with separate stall showers”.
As Palm Springs celebrates its 75th anniversary, there are a multitude of ways to learn more about this desert treasure. One of the more intriguing methods is by exploring the city’s history.
Weekly, the Palm Springs Historical Society will share a story whose time and place corresponds with today.
The Palm Springs Historical is located at 221 S. Palm Canyon Drive. For more information, visit www.pshistoricalsociety.org