After World War II, land developers and construction companies all over the state were building new homes and businesses just as fast as plans could be made and money could be raised.
Palm Springs was no exception.
Pioneer developer Pearl McCallum McManus teamed up with Los Angeles developer, Paul Trousdale, and planned a 200-unit housing development that would stretch between Sunny Dunes Road and Mesquite Avenue.
The only way this plan could be executed successfully was to find a way to redirect the water that flowed from Tahquitz Creek and consistently flooded the area.
On Sept. 22, 1947, the first earth movers arrived and began to carve a 200-foot ditch that would redirect the flow of water out of Tahquitz Canyon.
Boulders were placed on each side of the large flood channel to keep the waters within the banks. Tahquitz River Estates was the most ambitious housing development that had ever been attempted in the city of Palm Springs.
There is a multitude of ways to learn more about Palm Springs, which turned 75 in 2013.
One of the more intriguing methods is by exploring the city’s history.
The Palm Springs Historical Society will share a weekly story whose time and place corresponds with today.
The Palm Springs Historical Society is located at 221 S. Palm Canyon Drive. For more information, visit www.pshistoricalsociety.org