The historic La Plaza located in downtown Palm Springs was one of the first multi-use shopping centers in Southern California.
A Mobile gas station was located in the center median on the east side of the beautiful Spanish Colonial Revival complex facing Indian Avenue. The gas station was designed by architect Harry Williams, father of Palm Springs architects E. Stewart Williams and Roger Williams.
Overhangs were built into the buildings design to shade both the customers and the gas attendant as they were pumping gas in the hot desert sun.
This small building has been functioned throughout its history as a Mobile gas station c. 1936, Greyhound Bus Station c. 1941, the Plaza Date Shop c. 1949, A&W Root Beer, c. 1959 and now it is the home of Tyler’s Burger’s.
There is a multitude of ways to learn more about Palm Springs, which turned 75 in 2013. One of the more intriguing methods is by exploring the city’s history.
The Palm Springs Historical Society will share a weekly story whose time and place corresponds with today.
The Palm Springs Historical Society is located at 221 S. Palm Canyon Drive.
Visit www.pshistoricalsociety.org for more information.