Even if you didn’t grow up in a household where “spring cleaning” was the norm, I believe we all think about it this time of year. Renew, revive, rejuvenate, this is the feeling that spring conjures up and simply cannot be ignored.
This is a perfect time to freshen tired style at home! By winters end (even here in the desert) our rooms can take on a kind of dull pallor. A few simple steps can make a big impact on the way your home looks and how you feel at the same time.
First things first, organizing is the most important. Pick a room and get started! Organizing your space is so satisfying and makes life so much simpler and easier.
The tray is the best looking way to organize a table top.
Here are a few tips for getting your “stuff” in the right place.
• Sort out the unused and unwanted. I admit to being a bit of a collector myself. If you ever feel like you are on verge of being a pack rat, do what I do and watch an episode of Hoarders, Buried Alive. If that show does not inspire you to clean out, nothing will!
• Bins and containers are great, but do not let them become a crutch to storing items that are no longer useful. When you have so many storage bins that you don’t know what is inside them, you have reached the point where you should rethink your idea of “need."
• I love trays! For more simple daily items in every room of the house, I use trays. They hold keys and mail in the foyer, magazines and candles in the living room, bottles in the kitchen, a collection of items on my nightstand, also detergents & liquids in the laundry room. They keep clutter from spreading and make it appear more organized and more attractive.
Now that you are organized it is time to clean. Nothing is more important to reviving sagging style than making everything sparkle again. Shake out those sofa cushions, and vacuum under and behind your furniture. I even clean under my rugs, and you will be surprised how much dust is underneath. Here are a few more often forgotten cleaning tips:
Clean those light fixtures.
• Wipe the inside of light fixtures. Your fixtures naturally attract dust and buds when lit so, they need to be cleaned out regularly both indoors and out. When cleaning your light fixtures, don’t neglect the bulbs and shades. They get dusty, too.
• Clean out your dryer hose. I know it is not very glamorous, but did you know that more house fires are caused by dryer lint than any other? This one could actually save your life!
Cleaning out your dryer hose saves live.
Now that the less-than-fun parts are complete it is time to really give some new life to your interiors. It is easier than you might think. Here are some of my favorites.
• Pick a wall in your living room or bedroom and chose an accent color. It is an easy and inexpensive pick me up at the cost of a gallon of paint.
Summer time is time to use color.
• Add color and texture with some fresh throw pillows. Go for brighter colors, fun patterns and soft textures.
Rejuvenate your room with a rug of color and patter.
• A new rug can make it seem as if you have redecorated the whole room. Once again, color, pattern and texture can lighten, brighten and transform your home…indoors and out.
These are all easy and inexpensive ways of welcoming the coming season and making summer entertaining more fun and stylish.
Dann Foley, Allied ASID, has been a Palm Springs interior designer for more than 20 years. Dann was featured earlier this year on NBC's American Dream Builders. His monthly column will focus on trends, what's hot and design specific to the desert lifestyle. Visit www.danninc.com for more information.
Find Dann Foley on Twitter: @DesignerDann
Check out Dann's previous columns