For the last three years during the month of October, the Modernism Week fall preview has delivered a taste of what’s to come in February’s highly anticipated, weeklong event, adding to its itinerary of fun-filled events, personalities, and shopping experiences.
“In the fourth year, we’ve doubled the number of activities,” says Executive Director of Modernism Week Lisa Vossler-Smith of the event, which takes place at various venues throughout Palm Springs from Oct. 10–13.
New to the citywide shindig, which celebrates modernist culture and design, is the Modernism Show & Sale, Fall Edition, featuring 45 premier national and international dealers.
“The show provides an exclusive opportunity to shop for the finest and most stylish furniture, home décor, vintage accessories, and decorative and fine art representing the best in midcentury modern and 20th-century designs,” Smith says.
The Palm Springs Convention Center will host the event on Saturday and Sunday; an early buying preview from 10 a.m. to noon both days will enable exclusive access to the best picks. Ticket proceeds benefit Modernism Week.
Other weekend highlights include:
• an opening night poolside “beach” party and outdoor movie screening at Hacienda Cantina & Beach Club;
• a sneak peek at the Palm Springs Art Museum’s soon-to-open Architecture & Design Center;
• private tours of Frey House II and Steel Development House Number 1;
• architectural walking and bike tours;
• Premier Double Decker Architectural Bus Tours that visit the area’s iconic modern landmarks, including famous homes;
• a cocktail reception showcasing photographs of the Salton Sea;
• the Modern Yard Sale;
• and the popular Lost, Saved, and Endangered lecture and tour.
The mission of Modernism Week is to celebrate and foster appreciation for midcentury architecture and design, as well as contemporary thinking in these fields, by encouraging education, preservation, and sustainable modern living as represented in Palm Springs. www.modernismweek.com