Pop Up Palm Springs is a new event set to take place April 16 between Coachella Festival weekends. A variety of Palm Springs businesses in the Uptown and Downtown neighborhoods have joined forces to create a new way of showcasing what makes Palm Springs unique with a one-day event taking place in multiple businesses throughout the city.
Times of the individual events vary, but events run throughout the day. From fashion shows to art exhibitions, in-store specials, food demonstrations and parties, this is one day to get out of the house and come see what’s going on in Palm Springs.
The motivation for the idea came from business owners, representatives of Main Street and other civic organizations wanting to dispel the notion that during ‘the season’ (and especially during the week of Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival) locals should avoid going out to avoid crowds.
Each Pop Up Palm Springs participating business will provide a free Passport during their event. Since each Passport will be entered into a drawing, participants will greatly increase their chances of winning by visiting more businesses. The drawing for the winning Passports will be held during Village Fest on April 18. Every participating business is donating a prize so there are dozens of opportunities to win.
Jeffrey Bernstein of Destination PSP describes Pop Up Palm Springs as “encouraging locals to come out and shop and eat, getting Coachella weekend hotel guests to either stay longer or come earlier, and getting people to come to Palm Springs for a brilliant day showcasing the best of what we offer.”
Most events are free of charge, but some special meals are not. Some dining specials may require a reservation.
More than 35 businesses have already signed up to participate. The initial list of activities includes the following and many more:
• Crystal Fantasy – Sound healing session
• Destination PSP – retro swimwear fashion show, sidewalk chalk artist, giveaways and a drawing for two ShortFest passes
• Gre Coffee House – live music in the courtyard with a vinyl and art sale
• Kiehl’s – free skin consultations, hydration checks and samples
• Kimpton Rowan – the hotel will offer a special Pura Vida pop up shop featuring bracelets that support artists worldwide. It will also offer 20 percent off all day at the Juniper Table café.
• MAC – two sidewalk make-up drums for complimentary lip and shadow demos, free skincare and primer samples and a drawing for a $200 make-up basket
• My Little Bridal Boutique – a patio bridal fashion show
• On the Mark – food tastings and vendor pop-ups all day
• Power Yoga – Zano active wear fashion show and pop up, plus live music a free professional photography of you in your favorite yoga pose
• Revel Public House – bourbon tasting and food pairings
• Wabi Sabi Japan Living – Sake Tasting special
• Zin American Bistro – Wine and cheese tasting and a special prix fixe wine dinner
Participating business on or near Palm Canyon and Indian Canyon will display Pop Up Palm Springs signs in the windows. For more information on the growing list of participating businesses, visit popuppalmsprings.com, the Facebook event page or the Instagram page.