Thanksgiving takes on a whole new look and taste when you experience a bit of non-traditional fare with European holiday treats at Belgian bistro, Pomme Frite Palm Springs.
“Every holiday is a big one,” says Pomme Frite owner Jean-Claude Constant, also known as JC. “We want to share our heritage and we have a way of celebrating holidays, too. Not necessarily with turkey and gravy. We put in an extra effort to make each dish special, and we pay extra attention to use the ‘best of the best’ ingredients from around the world.”
You won’t find turkey, but Pomme-Frite has a rich holiday menu filled with scrumptious French and Belgian delights for their “Thanksgiving Week End.”
• Rack of Lamb with a Pomegranate Cabernet Sauce.
• Au Gratin Potatoes… famously served in a cast iron skillet for its individual portions for people to enjoy.
• Special dessert: “Floating Island" featuring poached meringes floating on Crème Anglaise with Caramel Sauce.
photo by bryan roe
Steak Frite is one of the traditional Belgian dishes served at Pomme Frite.
Traditional Belgian delicacies include fries (frites), beer, mussels, Steak Frite, and chocolate, so you won’t want to miss the house specialties including:
• Muscles served nine different ways along with Pomme-Frite’s world class “French Fries”.
• The Chocolate mousse with pistachio, vanilla bean crème anglaise is Pomme-Frite’s signature dessert. “Belgians are crazy about chocolate,” says JC.
Pomme Frite turns 15 on Dec. 4 at its Palm Canyon Drive location, or what JC describes as “the Champs Elysees of Palm Springs.”
“My favorite thing about being here, besides the weather, is the people I see coming back all the time,” he says. “I enjoy interacting with our regulars and I’m thankful to share my heritage.”
Pomme-Frite, 256 S. Palm Canyon Drive, Palm Springs, 760-778-3727, www.pomme-frite.com
Traditionalists, check our list of buffets, a la carte and prix fixe menus at the following venues.
- Also see this related story: Fuss-Free Feasts
Vue Grille and Bar, 44-500 Indian Wells Lane, Indian Wells, (760) 834-3800, www.vuegrilleandbar.com
Wally’s Desert Turtle, 71775 Highway 111, Rancho Mirage, 760-568-9321, www.wallys-desert-turtle.com/
Pinzimini, 71333 Dinah Shore Drive, Rancho Mirage, 760-770-2150, www.pinziminipalmsprings.com
Spencer’s Restaurant, 701 W. Baristo Road, Palm Springs, 760-327-3446, www.spencersrestaurant.com
TRIO Restaurant, 707 N. Palm Canyon Drive, Palm Springs, 760) 864-8746, www.triopalmsprings.com
Citron Restaurant at the Viceroy Hotel & Resort, 415 S. Belardo Road, Palm Springs, 760-320-4117, www.viceroyhotelsandresorts.com
Twenty6 at La Quinta Resort, 49499 Eisenhower Drive, La Quinta, 760-564-5720, www.laquintaresort.com/dine/twenty6