In August of 1950, many Palm Springs restaurateurs and business owners excited about the approaching tourist season announced major improvements made to their restaurants and nightclubs during the summer.
George and Ethel Strebe, owners of the Doll House, announced they were adding a new coat of paint to the interior and exterior, and a new bamboo floor. The flooring was being added to create the perfect surface for guests to dance to the sounds of the Guadalajara Trio.
Irwin Schuman, owner of the Chi Chi, announced the opening of the Starlight Room, a glamorous addition to this world-famous nightlife gathering.
He has contracted with big name artists to come and perform in the Starlight Room direct from their run at the Flamingo Hotel in Las Vegas.
He added an exclusive curved work of art in brick and brass to the entrance of the nightclub along with many other special features in celebration of opening the Starlight Room.
An additional dining room was built adjacent to the main dining room at Charlie Farrell’s Racquet Club to accommodate private parties and a larger number of guests.
Members were calling for reservations during the month of August to reserve their spot for the opening dinner-dance scheduled for Oct. 15.
There is a multitude of ways to learn more about Palm Springs, which turned 75 in 2013.
One of the more intriguing methods is by exploring the city’s history.
The Palm Springs Historical Society will share a weekly story whose time and place corresponds with today.
The Palm Springs Historical Society is located at 221 S. Palm Canyon Drive. For more information, visit www.pshistoricalsociety.org