Ruby’s Dunes became a celebrity hangout thanks to Frank Sinatra encouraging his friends to join him at the Palm Springs restaurant.
Architect Harry J. Williams scratched the design for La Plaza shopping center in Palm Springs on the back of an envelope in the 1930s.
John McCallum was the first to bring water to the desert by constructing a stone-lined ditch that brought water from Tahquitz Canyon to his ranch.
The Desert Plays begun by Garnet Holme in 1921 performed in an outdoor theatre in Tahquitz Canyon held at sunset to offset the heat of the day.
Harris Posey, the new manager at the brand-new Bullock’s Department Store, and a young employee, organized The Los Compadres, a local horseback riding club.
Prior to 1930, many of the names of the streets in Palm Springs reflected the agricultural roots of the village, while others connect to the city’s history.
A style, referred to as the “Palm Springs Label,” emerged in the 1950s incorporating the best of domestic and imported designs in women’s clothing.
Architect Donald Wexler was just 37 in 1961 when voters approved a bond to purchase 600 acres of tribal land to build the Palm Springs Airport.
In 1961, development began on Southridge in Palm Springs featuring a 33-foot-wide, lighted palm-lined roadway on the hillside above Araby Cove.
Adoring fans lined Palm Canyon Drive in 1936 waiting for the stars to arrive for the premiere of the film, “Camille” at Plaza Theatre in Palm Springs.