Where You Can Splurge on Ice Cream in Palm Springs Area
Shields Date Garden boasts nostalgic ice cream bar
The Palm Springs area offers a variety of ice cream "shoppe" experiences.
Photo by ThinkStockPhotos.com
As the lazy days of summer come to a close, splurge on a unique ice cream “shoppe” experience.
Start with a trip to Shield’s Date Garden in Indio. Known throughout the valley as a destination to savor dates and reminisce about the history of this magical fruit, Shield’s Date Garden is celebrating its 90th anniversary.
While the location itself has a retro vibe, the property boasts a garden, café, “market” and nostalgic ice cream bar (pictured at right) where guests can sit at the counter, sample, and relax in the friendly atmosphere.
Shield’s signature “Date Shake” is a rich blend of local dates and cold creamy goodness, making this a “must try”.
However, if this desert treasure isn’t your thing, Shield’s offers an assortment of mouthwatering frozen delights from a traditional flavor to a root beer float.
Ice cream, malts, soft-serve, and shakes tickle the taste buds and quench our desires to catch a break from the desert heat.
Consider these options:
• Shields Date Garden, 80-225 U.S. Highway 111, Indio; 760-347-7768; www.shieldsdategarden.com
• Great Shakes, 160 S. Palm Canyon Drive, Palm Springs; 760-327-5300; www.greatshakesps.com
• Keedy’s Fountain Grill, 73633 California 111; Palm Desert; 760-346-6492
• Lappert’s Ice Cream (two local locations)
130 N. Palm Canyon Drive; Palm Springs; 760-325-1717
78206 Varner Road, #G , Palm Desert; 760-772-1777
• Nitro Infusions, 78010 Main St., No. 108, La Quinta; 760-771-0700; www.nitroinfusions.com
Inset photo by Michelle Roe.