Modernism Week Fall Preview 2019 will take place Oct. 17-20 at various locations in the Coachella Valley.
The full events schedule goes on sale Aug. 1, giving Fall Preview attendees an opportunity to participate in the activities that are new and unique to this festival, returning favorites, and events that will also be offered during the annual 11-day festival in February 2020.
Highlights of Modernism Week Fall Preview 2019 include:
• a Midcentury Mixology demonstration at Mr. Lyon’s Steakhouse, a Midcentury Brunch at the newly redesigned Two Bunch Palms Resort & Spa
• a talk entitled Bold & Beautiful: Designing with Color in the Desert at Grace Home Furnishings
• tours of the newly revitalized Cree House, the Modernism Week Featured Home: Axiom Desert House, The Essentials of Palm Springs ONE-PS Home Tour, the popular Cul-de-Sac Experience neighborhood tour, and the Give Me Shelter home tour across six neighborhoods
• the festive Opening Night Party and Early Buying Preview Reception at the Modernism Show & Sale at the Palm Springs Convention Center
• tours of the iconic desert hideaway Hotel Lautner, a Past Meets Present party at the Palm Springs American Legion
• Nod to Mod, a nightly evening music and dining experience produced by PS Underground, a talk by Atomic Ranch called “Smart Remodeling + How to be a Good Modernist Neighbor,” and the Best of Mod with a Twist
• Premier Double Decker Architectural Bus Tours, architectural walking tours of the city, and tours of Sunnylands Historic House, Frey House II, and Frank Sinatra’s “Twin Palms” Estate.
Midcentury modern architect Hugh Kaptur will be honored with four events during Fall Preview, including “Recognizing Modernist Architect Hugh Michael Kaptur” at Kaptur Plaza,; a free tour of the newly refurbished Kaptur-designed Palm Springs Fire Station No. 4 in South Palm Springs; tours of the John & Bessie Macy Residence, designed by Kaptur in 1961, and a talk called “The Architecture of Hugh Michael Kaptur.” These events are produced by the Palm Springs Preservation Foundation, one of the founding partners of Modernism Week.
Following the Fall Preview, Modernism Week’s signature 11-day festival will take place Feb. 13-23, 2020. Tickets will be available Nov. 1 at noon PST. To receive updates, visit modernismweek.com and follow them on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
The Hilton Palm Springs Resort, Modernism Week’s official host hotel, is offering a special $169+ room rate for the October Fall Preview. Contact the Hilton directly at 760-320-6868 or visit modernismweek.com.