Summer baseball was an important pastime for villagers in early Palm Springs, who were too busy during the winter season to have time for recreation.
Baseball enthusiasts, men, women and children came to the Field Club in July 1948, located at the northeast corner of Ramon Road and Sunrise Way, and brought orange crates to sit on.
Later, the city built bleachers and people parked their cars on the grounds. Fans would pick a seat where they hoped to catch a soft desert breeze that would bring a little relief from the summer heat.
During the games, sometimes more than 20 cases of soft drinks were sold as well as other refreshments. The money was used to buy baseballs, lights and other necessities to make the summer leagues successful.
Umpires calling “you’re out” would be met with a great howl coming from spectators. Roland Vaile of KCMJ occasionally broadcast the games over the radio.
There is a multitude of ways to learn more about Palm Springs, which turned 75 in 2013. One of the more intriguing methods is by exploring the city’s history.
The Palm Springs Historical Society will share a weekly story whose time and place corresponds with today.
The Palm Springs Historical Society is located at 221 S. Palm Canyon Drive. For more information, visit www.pshistoricalsociety.org