VIDEO: Enjoy a tour of this elegant Palm Springs resort.
L'Horizon Resort and Spa in Palm Springs has achieved a series of firsts already after opening in late summer.
• First Palm Springs resort to be a part of The Leading Hotels of the World.
• First to have a Michelin 1 star chef heading its divine restaurant, SO.PA. (See related story: Dining, SO.PA style at L’Horizon Resort and Spa)
• First flagship property for Steve Hermann Hotels, headed by the go-to, midcentury modern designer for celebrities, corporate executives and royalty.
L'Horizon doesn't show its true self from the street until you enter and discover the three-acre resort.
After designing houses for everyone from Christina Aguilera to Larry Ellison to the Saudi Royal Family, this is Steve Hermann's first foray into the hotel business.
“We are for design and boutique oriented people looking for an experience which moves them emotionally," says Hermann. "The idea is to create a world for the guest where our staff and service encompass their every need and want, and allow them to discover a few wants they never knew they had, and fulfilling those new wants as well, to the highest standard of service in the world.”
Just 25 midcentury bungalows with architect William F. Cody's stamp on it.
The 25 guest rooms are furnished with exceptional materials and finishes. The result is the feel of pristine lines and shape combined with the relaxing comfort of a private estate.
It's the large and small touches which amaze the discerning guest. The hand sewn rugs. The north Oregon straight grain. Douglas fir wood ceilings. The careful selection of books and magazines. Collectible pieces from Sergio Rodrigues, aka the father and icon of Brazilian furniture. Solid brass Forbes and Lomax light switches and dimmers. 40 percent is vintage; 60 percent is new.
The rooms are tripped out with plush amenities from the linen to the furnishings.
Originally designed by architect William F. Cody in 1952 for Jack Wrather (producer of TV shows The Lone Ranger, Sergeant Preston, and Lassie), L'Horizon has a spectacular history of world luminaries who have walked through its doors from U.S. Presidents to Marilyn Monroe and Betty Grable.
Looking forward, Hermann says he wants the resort to “be one of the top 50 hotels in the world.” When asked how he would do it, he gave a confident smile. “You can train world class servicem" he says. "You cannot train world class care. It's the unique, exceptional people who work at L'Horizon who make the difference.”
The private estate rooms have their own pool and stellar views.
• Enjoy complimentary champagne on check-in and complimentary foot and back massages at the pool.
• Indulge in the decadent Le Labo bath products and amenities.
• 4,000 ficus trees provide privacy to the property and yet allow you to enjoy amazing mountain views.
• 600 thread count Frette sheets, Frette robes, Frette slippers, and Frette down comforters.
• Espresso makers in every room.
L'Horizon Resort and Spa, 1050 E. Palm Canyon Drive, Palm Springs, 760-323-1858; www.lhorizonpalmsprings.com
Follow Karen on Twitter: @gloriousallianc
What other hotels have we profiled: Hotel Essentials