Performing arts, fine art, culinary arts, and the art of shopping make The Galen in Palm Desert a cultural destination on the first Friday of every month during the “visitor season.”
Free First Fridays works in tandem with the El Paseo Art Walk and First Weekend Palm Desert at the Palm Springs Art Museum in Palm Desert to provide this wide array of artistic endeavors.
"The intent was to collaborate with the City of Palm Desert and El Paseo Artwalk by using what was existing and to reach a larger audience,” says Arlene Amick, managing director, Palm Springs Art Museum in Palm Desert.
photo courtesy of the galen at palm springs art museum in palm desert
The addition of Babe's Brewhouse helped expand the offerings of Free First Fridays.
“The Palm Springs Art Museum in Palm Desert's participation began by us just extending our hours, but when we added live music with great artists and a craft beer station by the famous Babe's Brewhouse – our attendance grew to over 400! It's a huge opportunity to open our doors to the community and host a great event the first weekend of every month."
The Nov. 7 event includes El Paseo Art Walk from 4-8 p.m., extended shopping hours for many of the rue’s retail stores, and El Paseo Cruise Night (yes, the art of cool cars!).
Photo courtesy of Fleming Artists
Singer-songwriter Steve Poltz performs Nov. 7.
The Galen will feature:
• Current exhibit, “A Grand Adventure: Amercian Art in the West”
• Docent tours beginning at 4:30 p.m.
• A special documentary film screening of Running Wild, music composed by Steve Poltz, at 5:30 p.m.
• Poltz will give a live performance at 7:30 p.m.
- See related story: Hit Man: Singer Songwriter Steve Poltz Plays by His Own Rules
What else can you do at The Galen?
• The Galen is an 8,400-square-foot facility housing four separate galleries presenting sculpture, painting, photography, and new media.
• Within The Galen, the Annette Block Education Wing presents lectures, demonstrations, art films, and family events for the museum.
• The Galen building is surrounded by the four-acre Faye Sarkowsky Sculpture Garden often providing the backdrop for outdoor activities including free yoga in the garden.
The Galen at the Palm Springs Art Museum in Palm Desert, 72-567 Highway 111, 760-346-5600, www.psmuseum.org